Why Recycle CRTs?
With the advent of flat-screen alternatives such as LED and LCD screens, Cathode Ray Tubes (or CRTs), once the darling of the television and computer monitor industry, have increasingly become a thing of the past. Nevertheless, millions of CRT devices still exist in homes and offices around the world, and often end up in landfills, which can have devastating consequences on the environment. In the following blog, we’ll discuss the effects of improper disposal of CRTs, focus on the importance of electronic recycling and electronics reuse in mitigating these effects, and show how eAsset Solutions can help you safely dispose of your CRTs.
The Environmental Impact of Improper CRT Disposal
- Because CRTs contain toxic materials such as lead, barium, phosphor and cadmium, it’s of vital importance to responsibly recycle them. Improperly handled, these materials can contaminate soil, water and air, wreaking havoc on our ecosystems and public health. For instance, lead, which can be found in CRTs, is a neurotoxin that can cause developmental disorders in children, while cadmium can damage the kidneys and liver.
- Now considered one of the fastest-growing waste streams globally, electronic waste (or e-waste) cannot be taken lightly, and should be addressed head on. Unfortunately, CRTs remain one of the main offenders, are habitually discarded in landfills, and contribute to the ever-rising problem of e-waste pollution around the world. The Agbogbloshie landfill in Ghana, for example, situated along the Korle Lagoon and considered one of the most notorious e-waste dumps on the planet, is a grave reminder to all of us of the importance of recycling responsibly with a certified electronics recycler. The impact on human lives and the environment is catastrophic, and very real.
- Whether you know it or not, you may be contributing unwittingly to the depletion of natural resources by improperly disposing of CRTs, and exacerbating an already frightful global situation, by preventing the recovery and reuse of valuable materials found in these devices. For example, the glass in CRTs contains high levels of lead, which can be recycled and reused in other applications such as battery manufacturing. If you’re willing to recycle paper, plastics and aluminum cans, you’re more than ready to tackle the e-waste threat, and eAsset Solutions can help!
The Importance of Electronic Recycling and Electronics Reuse
Reducing Environmental Impact
- Extracting valuable materials, which can then be reused to manufacture new products, is just one of many reasons to recycle CRTs and electronic devices. In addition, finding ways to repurpose or reuse your electronics is a critical component in reducing the release of hazardous materials and the overall environmental impact of e-waste. Certified electronic recycling facilities, like eAsset Solutions, are specifically equipped and trained in identifying, dismantling and repurposing as much e-waste material as possible, and in so doing help realize eco-friendly economic systems such as a circular economy (more on this, in future).
- Electronics reuse extends the life of CRT devices, reducing the need for new products and conserving valuable resources. By repairing, refurbishing, or repurposing CRTs, we can make the most of the materials and energy invested in their production.
Compliance with Regulations
- Thankfully, in many countries today, there are strict regulations on the disposal of electronic waste, including CRTs. By engaging in electronic recycling and electronics reuse, businesses, communities and individuals can help ensure compliance with these regulations and avoid potential fines. And while the latter may act as a deterrent, the reward of contributing to a greener, more sustainable future, and a planet in which future generations can flourish and thrive, is one of eAsset Solutions’ highest aspirations.
eAsset Solutions: Your Partner in Proper CRT Recycling
So! If you have CRTs that need to be disposed of, please let eAsset Solutions take care of them for you! We offer a responsible recycling solution for CRTs at a small fee of just $1 per inch of screen (measured diagonally). By partnering with eAsset Solutions, you can ensure that your CRTs are properly recycled, protecting the environment and conserving valuable resources. For more information on our services, please visit our website or contact us today.
While the improper disposal of CRTs poses a significant threat to the environment and public health, our team at eAsset Solutions takes pride in leading the charge, responsibly combating the emergent e-waste crisis, and educating the public on how to effectively reduce e-waste contamination. Electronic recycling and electronics reuse are essential in mitigating these effects, as they help to reduce e-waste pollution, conserve resources, and ensure compliance with regulations. If you have CRTs that need to be recycled, consider partnering with eAsset Solutions, and let our team assist you with all your e-waste and data destruction needs. At affordable prices, and with nearly 20 years of experience, our commitment to reducing e-waste and recycling responsibly speaks for itself!